Monday, September 7, 2020

Update Time: Finishes, WIPs, and Framing

Hello, world! It's so nice to be back. I didn't intend to take such a long break but it needed to be done, because life got in the way. I was busy with family matters and taking care of a plunge in my mental health, I suppose due to Covid and the fact that spring tends to make me very anxious anyway. 

We've had a very strange summer as I'm sure you all have as well... After one of the strictest lockdowns in the world, Spain opened its doors back in July and places have been overloaded with people. Masks are obligatory everywhere except for the beach, and unfortunately the whole country seems to have flocked over to the coast (which is understandable I guess), so there simply wasn't a safe spot to hang out around here, and we've stayed home a lot.

Obviously the numbers of infections have skyrocketed and our area is now a hotspot... Right in time for back to school! As you may know we are both teachers, so we're not thrilled. I'm lucky enough to teach online, but my husband's back to work armed to the eyebrows with mask, eyeglasses, face shield and gloves... Let's hope it's enough and that everyone is safe.

As for cross stitching, I've got some progress and a finish to show you all! My pace slowed quite a bit during the summer, but I still got some things done. So without further ado, here we go:

Charming Kitten by Dimensions

Charming Kitten Dimensions


That's right, I got a finish! I don't know how, but this adorable little kitten kept me pushing through. It must've been his soulful eyes! Not only did I finish it, but I had it framed too. That was an odessy, but I'll talk about it at the end of the post: if you want more detailed pictures on the kitten piece, click here to go to its dedicated page.

Sea Flora by Nora Corbett

During the summer, I stitched up this beautiful mermaid and nearly finished her:


Imagine my surprise when among my fabric stash I found a piece of 14 count Aida, hand dyed by myself last year: a failed attempt from trying to get the fabric just right for Mermaid Azure! I thought I'd thrown all the rejects away, but apparently I'd kept this one, and if you'll believe it, it was the perfect size for this project. So it was a no brainer! When I finish her, I want to frame and hang her next to Mermaid Azure so that they're facing each other, as companion pieces. I hope to have her ready to go soon!

Wintry Wolf by Dimensions

This is my latest start, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. If you remember, I talked about this rather special kit in this post , because I was very surprised to find pre-printed fabric! And it's not even Aida. And the pattern is worked in 3 threads throughout. I mean... Let's just say that I was intimidated. However, with the start of autumn my patience and concentration came back, and I was ready for a challenge. So here we are:




I'm marking the pattern as I go, which is a first for me as I see marking a book or leaflet or anything paper as sacrilege, but... Well, it had to be done. You'll be seeing my progress on this one this fall!

Framing

Finally, a word about framing. This one has been complicated this year. By the time our lockdown ended back in June, our one and only framing shop in town was closed for good. It was very sad to see, especially because the owner was such a kind and helpful lady; another example of how Covid is affecting everything. 

So I decided to frame the pieces myself. I went into our local carpentry/housewares shop and picked out two white frames, and then two small bottles of paint; then I set about laying the frames down on some paper out on our small balcony and painting them carefully.



 And this is how they came out:

Charming Kitten Dimensions


A deep, Mediterranean blue for Charming Kitten. I wanted a really strong blue to bring out the color of his eyes, and I only put one coat of paint to make it look a bit rugged. Very pleased with the results!

And...

For my pixie, this beautiful, gorgeous, guilty-pleasure, deep popping Barbie pink:  



I could not be happier with this one. I was like a giddy child putting paint onto the wood, just enjoying the deep unapologetic pink to my heart's content. Just looking at this piece now makes me smile: it really pops! And have I mentioned it's pink? My inner child is pleased.

And finally, I also framed Guardian Spirit with a sturdy wooden frame which, while it's not perfect, at least it's done:



And that's all for now! I think we're all caught up on my stitchy news. How are you all? How are things in your side of the world? I hope you and your family are safe and sound, or as much as one can be right now. Wishing you all the best of weeks! Happy stitching :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Robin! Good to see your new post! Your stitching and framing look awesome. Well done on painting the frames for the cat and pixie pieces! Praying you and yours stay healthy and people will adhere to safety in light of the increase in numbers. Doing okay here -- keeping busy with my stitching and periodic outings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robin, It was so nice to see your post, I'd been wondering how you were doing. I'm sorry you had such a tough time for awhile; I'm glad you're feeling better though. It's scary that the numbers are increasing there so much-I hope that can start to get under control.
    I love your finishes, and your frames look great. It's so nice to have your stitching fully finished so you can enjoy it! I look forward to seeing your progress on Wintry Wolf. Hope you and your family stay safe and well!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back, Robin! I've missed your posts and beautiful stitching. This Covid mess has wreaked havoc on so many families--both in their physical and mental health. I do hope your husband stays healthy while teaching and I hope your online teaching goes well. My sister just retired in June from almost 30 years of teaching and said that the past semester when she did online teaching was the hardest of all--best of luck to you!

    Your frames are so pretty for all of your big finishes. I don't think I could handle stitching with three threads on the Wolf piece--you are very brave. I tried it once and hated it--just struggled so much with getting the threads to lay well.

    Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog regarding my mother--I'm missing her more than I ever thought possible, but I'm relieved she is now at peace. My sweet grandson came along at the most perfect time possible to help heal my heart.

    Take good care now and I hope you'll keep us up to date on your pretty stitching and your life. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you back. Charming Kitten is so adorable! Great framing too on all your finishes. All stores here are all mask required. Arizona is no longer a hotspot. I think covid is not done with us, sadly. I see this continuing into spring or summer next year. I hope your husband stays safe and you too!

    ReplyDelete