Thursday, November 21, 2019

Happy Mail and Framing

I got some happy mail this week that I'm excited to show you! I've purchased two kits from eBay that are different to anything else I have, so here goes:

Chistmas Morning by Oven

I have bought my first ever Russian kit! Check it out:

Christman Morning by Oven

I've wanted to stitch a robin for a while because they are one of my favorite birds (we can blame The Secret Garden for that), and browsing eBay I came across this little beauty. And get this: this is a Russian kit, shipped from Italy by a Greek girl. How cool is that? The price for the kit was very good, and for once the shipping costs more than reasonable, probably because it was shipped within the EU. 


The inside of the kit was different to Dimensions: the threads were from a brand I've never heard of before, and they were rolled up in a way I've never seen. The aida is very light and thin and airy, and feels like it's very good quality, so absolutely 5 stars out of 5 for this wonderful kit!

Wintry Wolf by Dimensions

This is a kit that I've had my eye on for a very long time, because it was among the first Dimensions kits I ever saw, and the expression on the wolf's face is so serene and candid, it really spoke to me:



He reminds me of Two Socks from Dancing with Wolves. Anyone else?

Now, the reason why I want to show you this kit is that it is unlike any other kit I've ever seen. For starters, there's no Aida! It comes with a very soft, thin cotton fabric that is printed:


Have you ever seen anything like this before? This fabric isn't evenweave... I have no idea what it is. Obviously we're supposed to cross stitch on top of the little crosses, but notice the background forest: that's they way it's going to look in the finished piece! And have you noticed the eyes?


Reading through the instructions, we're supposed to fill that in with satin stitch. And as for the lines over the trees, that's not backstitch: it's couching. Now, I'm familiar with these techniques because I used to embroider a little, but isn't it funny that this would be in a cross stitch kit? It'll be an adventure to say the least, so I'll pick this one up when I want a challenge.

Framing Ivy

Last but not least, I have framed Ivy! I chose a very creamy, soft wood imitation frame that I thought would go well with Ivy's colors, and then I did my very rustic DIY framing process:


Which is to say that I draped the fabric over the back of the frame, and stitched it up with very long stitches until it was nice and tight:


And here she is, all stitched up and framed and ready to go:


I'm delighted with the result, and think the frame works with the color of the fabric and Ivy herself, and is subtle enough to make the design pop. So I'm a happy camper!

How are you all doing? I hope things are well for everyone and you're enjoying your projects! Until next time, happy stitching :)

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting Ivy framed! She looks stunning in it. You received two beautiful kits. The wolf one with its pre-printed intrigues me. I haven't seen one of those with the pre-printed in many years. Which one are you going to start first? Will you wait until you finish Guardian Spirit before starting one of your new ones? Enjoy your day and the upcoming weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin! I'm glad you like how Ivy finished up, thank you :) and I'm glad you like the kits also! I would love to start them both right now haha, but if I do that I'll just get frustrated by the lack of progress I think... So for now my plan is to finish Guardian Spirit, and then we'll see. I'm fascinated by the wolf too so that might be my next one :D I hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. Love the new kits . I have Robins in my garden all year around but they show up so well in Winter such pretty birds .
    Congrats on the finish of Ivy and the finish .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to have robins all year round! I'm sure you enjoy seeing them so often :) We don't have them around our flat, but apparently they have been sighted in one of the walks we often take, so I'm keeping an eye out for them :) I hope you have a great weekend :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on getting Ivy framed- it looks beautiful & I love the frame you chose. It's nice you're so quick to finish and frame your stitching so you can enjoy it; unfortunately I have a number of pieces set aside waiting to be framed. I like your new kits- so fun to have new projects to look forward to! Years ago I stitched some of those printed designs. I'm sure the wolf will be beautiful. Hope you're having a great weekend!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary, I'm glad you like Ivy :) I sometimes joke to my husband that I'm just OCD about framing the pieces... I can imagine I'll run out of wall space a few years down the line! How did stitching the printed designs go? Was it difficult? I hope you had a great weekend :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, your framed Ivy is just perfect, Robin! And your new kits are wonderful. I've never seen anything like that one, either? I would worry that the crosses would show underneath? It will be interesting to see how you like it. I really admire you for tackling such large pieces. If I were younger I might, too, but at my age (I'll be 65 in January!), I need the quick gratification of smaller pieces! Hope you have a lovely weekend ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Carol for your kind words :) I'm glad you like Ivy! And I completely understand about the instant gratification, sometimes you just need a small project... And whether they're big or small projects, you have a wonderful collection of stitched pieces with beautiful finishes, you should be very proud of yourself for that :)

      Delete