Thursday, April 23, 2020

Getting back on that horse: new project & first USA fabrics

Well if it hasn't been the longest time! This quarantine is doing things to me, y'all. We haven't been allowed to leave our homes for nearly 6 weeks now and the anxiety's running wild and rampant, as I'm sure you know from personal experience. I really need to take a walk and just move! But I don't want to ramble on about the topic, so A  N Y W A Y...

... I have started a new project! Yes, again. Apparently 2020 is the year of running around aimlessly in cross stitch and I'm going to have to be OK with that. Flowers & Hummingbird was seriously burning me out by the end so I've decided to put it down for a little while, but it's still in my WIPs.  In the meantime I've started the beautiful Medieval Maiden by Joan Elliott and oh my goodness you guys, just look at her:


She is so beautiful! I love Joan's attention to detail and all the delicate backstitching that goes on to make the piece pop. I mean, just look at her shirt:


Absolutely stunning. I used plain golden metallic thread instead of the Kreinik called for, because it's enough that I had this piece all kitted out before quarantine hit and actual Aida lying around. But I think it looks fine.

USA Fabrics

Now this is a big deal for me, because this is my first cross stitch purchase from the US. I usually get my materials from Spain, Italy, the UK and China for the convenience. But I really wanted to try out this super famous Picture This Plus fabric that everyone's talking about, so here we are:



The dark blue fabric you see in the picture is Mystic by Picture This Plus, and I could not love it more. I can't believe how soft and smooth it is, how rich in color. I'm going to use it for Mirabilia's Stargazer one day.

The other fabric is Twilight Blue by Zweigart I believe, and it is greyer than I'd imagined and very stiff, so I'm not too impressed with that one.

I also snagged the adorable little Dimensions kit you see in the picture, because it reminds me of my own two cats, so it really called out to me and I think it will be a beautiful piece to make. I mean... They're identical:



So, how are you all doing lately? I'm trying to get around to everybody's blogs (those of you that have them) so excuse me if I've been missing lately. Like I mentioned, this quarantine is affecting me, and I haven't been able to focus very much on anything. I hope you're all keeping safe and happy... Until next time, happy stitching :)

8 comments:

  1. Sorry the hummingbirds were bumming you out, Robin! You have made a good start on Medieval Maiden. Good for you on your first US purchase! Hope you enjoy your new fabrics!

    Doing okay here! Keeping busy with the usual -- chores, stitching, reading, and walking around our property with the dog.

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Robin! :) I'm glad you're keeping busy with nice things, it's really what we all need to do right now isn't it? I hope you're keeping well! Have a great week xx

      Delete
  2. I think we are all jumping from one project to another lately, Robin! I have to force myself to stick with my current project because it is for my mom's birthday in three weeks. I'll have to frame it and mail it to her so I hope I can get it done in time. She will be 93!!!

    Your new project is so pretty and I think everyone needs to be stitching something that makes them happy right now :) Sorry the one fabric wasn't to your liking, but I look forward to what you will use both for. Enjoy that cute new kitty kit--I can see why you just had to buy it!

    Take care now and let's hope we can return to going about our lives in not too long a time! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww what a lovely gift for your mom Carol, I am sure she will love to receive it, especially now with everything that's going on! I do agree that it's hard to keep focused though, I hope it's not too difficult to finish. I hope you and your family are doing well, take care now! xx

      Delete
  3. I would like to have my stitching mojo back! Tonight I'll pick something up. PTP fabrics are nice. I just picked up a nice sized Legacy by PTP from 123stitch. I have plans for it. Medieval Maiden looks wonderful. I'm so ready for this virus to hit the road! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you've also lost your stitching bug! These are strange times aren't they? I hope you get some of it back by doing some stitchy shopping, I think if we can't stitch so much, we may as well enjoy looking at some pretty materials, right? Thanks for popping over and saying hi, I hope you're doing well, stay safe!

      Delete
  4. It was so nice to see your post! I love your Medieval Maiden- it will be a stunning piece. I think given the current situation it makes sense you're having some issues focusing, and I just think you should work on what appeals to you at the time. I'm currently working on several different pieces that I like. I'm having trouble focusing as much as normal (I'm even having trouble focusing on reading which I usually love) but I think that everything is just hard that way now, we just have to try to enjoy the things we can. Your new fabrics look really pretty, I look forward to seeing what you'll use them for. I had heard in the news that some restrictions seemed to be loosening a little in Spain- I hope that things are improving for you. Take care and stay well!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Mary :) This right here is what I'm talking about- I can't seem to concentrate on anything, including reading! I'm so glad you understand, although I'm sorry you're going through this too. Restrictions have been lifting a bit yes, thank goodness, I think I'll write about it on my next post. I hope you're doing well too, take care and keep stitching!!

      Delete