Thursday, March 26, 2020

Project Start & Cabin Fever

Oh, boy. This has turned out to be a very frustrating week stitching wise, guys.

I mentioned to some of you in the comments section that my mom and I had decided to start a SAL, because we had a couple of projects in common in our stash, and with this quarantine going on we thought it'd be a sweet idea. The one we decided on is this beautiful piece by Dimensions, Flowers & Hummingbird:


Isn't it beautiful? Aren't those colors gorgeous? Doesn't it just scream out "spring"? Yes, yes it does. It also has a truckload of confetti. I should've known when I saw those flowers, but I seem to be a slow learner... Insert facepalm. No, actually, I'll insert it for you, here ya go:

Literally me thinking of myself
Long story short, those flowers turned out to be my nemesis. My proverbial Everest. Combine the confetti, similar pink colors, and 18 count aida, and after three days I was a cross-eyed, dizzy, angry Zombie ready to throw things (which is probably also a by-product of the fact that we've been quarantined for nearly two weeks and I have serious cabin fever. But oh boy is that another topic). My poor husband had to sit me down and kindly explain that maybe projects are like relationships, and I really should just break up with this one. Bless his patient soul.

Anyway, if you think that stopped me from doggedly continuing on this project, you absolutely do not know me for the stubborn mule that I can be. I just wasn't ready to give up. I was also strangely emotional about giving up on yet another spring piece, because I'd already given up on Baby Bluejays (seriously people, cabin fever is bad for the nerves. I need to go outside to take a walk and get a, you know, life). 

Ugh. But finally, today I really had to wonder why I was freaking out over this project so much, and I realized that it was a combination of: a) wanting to go too fast, and b) the wrong approach. So I've decided to be patient with myself, reminded myself that this isn't a race... and I've decided to work square by square instead of by color, which was a huge part of the problem as it was making me very confused. And it has calmed me down enough to enjoy this project again, and this is what I have to show for my efforts:



I mean... Not too shabby, if I do say so myself! I am satisfied. If anything, this latest stitching experience has taught me that I have a very anxious, competitive streak in me, and I really have to take to heart these lovely words by Virgina Woolf:


How are you all doing in these crazy times? I hope you're keeping positive and finding good things to focus on. Wherever you are, I hope you're happy and keeping safe. Until next time, happy stitching :)

8 comments:

  1. You are off to a good start with Flowers and Hummingbird, Robin. I am glad you figured out a means of stitching so it will be enjoyable for you. If you are looking for something small to work on, a number of designers have been creating designs to help out the stitching community. On Facebook and Instagram, you can search for #bewellandstitch.

    We continue to do okay although my husband is beginning to get stir crazy. I have been keeping busy with my needle and thread and have finished several small pieces.

    Take care and be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, thank you soooo much for the heads up about the #bewellandstitch designs! They're gorgeous and adorable, and I can't believe even Satsuma Street has one! Definitely some gems in there, thank you again :) All the best to you and your hubby, it's definitely difficult to stay at home all the time and I can really sympathise. I'm glad you're keeping yourself busy and getting some finishes in, hopefully this will be over soon. Take care!

      Delete
  2. What a pretty project you and your Mom have chosen. I love the colors. I'm sorry it was so difficult at first (but understandable with all those confetti stitches). I love your husband's kind suggestion about breaking up with a project- good thing to remember! This is supposed to be a fun and relaxing hobby after all, and when it isn't it is a good idea to break up, or at least put the piece in time-out for a bit! Anyway, I'm glad you found another approach so you can enjoy stitching it. Also, I love your adorable cat-in-a-teacup needleminder.
    We're doing ok, trying to establish new routines but also focus on fun things. This is certainly a very difficult stressful time for everyone. Stay safe and take care of yourself!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary, I'm glad you like the project :) It's definitely been a journey with this one lol, but it's all good now. I got the needleminder from GrandmaGirlDesigns on Etsy if you want to have a look, they're so cute! I'm glad you're trying to make new routines and focus on good things, it's so important right now isn't it? Take good care of yourself and keep on staying positive, thanks for popping in :D

      Delete
  3. This is so beautiful, Robin, and what fun to be stitching it with your mother. I stitch block by block when there are a lot of color changes--just can't do it any other way. Glad you are taking it easy and not pushing yourself. I'm a very slow stitcher and I love it that way--it is almost meditative for me :)

    I'm hanging in there--starting to have some weepy moments though, when I think about how long it may be until I see my mom or my sons again :( So glad I have lots of indoor hobbies to keep me going at times like these. Take care now ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one Carol! Slow and steady is the way haha, I'm glad you enjoy it that way too. I'm sorry to hear you're feeling a bit down, this is certainly a difficult time... I hope you get to see your family very soon, and I'm sure they can't wait to see you too! In the meantime keep on with your indoor hobbies, they are such a good thing to have right now. Sending you a hug, take care :)

      Delete
  4. I know you commented on something I said on a post of mine. I get tunnel vision when it comes to stitching and getting close to finishing. You said you do too. I've had to change the way I look at stitching. Some people stitch for a finish, some stitch just for the relaxation of it. I was after finishes and that's not much fun. So I've slowed down and I'm now enjoying stitching again. These crazy times are driving me crazy. The number of infected near me continues to rise and it worries me. I am not feeling well right now but it might be a combination of insomnia, windy weather, and allergies. Take care, Robin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful design .
    I can see why you are stitching this one.
    When I stitch big ones I try and stitch a little a day and then pick up a smaller one .
    Have fun and stay safe hugs.

    ReplyDelete