Monday, December 16, 2019

Guardian Spirit: Week 4

You know how sometimes you're working on a project, and you genuinely feel like you're not making any progress? That's how I've felt this week with Guardian Spirit, but after sifting through my pictures, I've realized that it's actually coming along quite nicely! So, here is Guardian Spirit, one month in:


We have some background, progress on the neck, backstitching and some more of the second feather! So, all in all, pretty good. I'm enjoying this project a lot, and it's making me want to take on other large projects in the future. 

Also, I have just finished reading The Giver of Stars by Jojo Mojes and oh, my goodness. What a book!


It was nominated for Best Historical Fiction in the 2019 Goodreads Awards, and I really thought it would win. Alas, it didn't, but it swept me away. It's set in 1930s Appalachia, where an English woman moves after impulsively marrying an American man from there. The marriage doesn't really go well, but she finds a sense of purpose in being one of the librarians of the "pony library" that's just opened in her town: she rides her horse up the mountains and delivers books to the people who live there. That's the premise of the book, but of course the story offers so much more: strong friendships among women, a glimpse into post-depression rural America, the grit and strength of mountain people, and the ways in which we keep going in life in spite of difficulties, all against the background of coal mines and gorgeous mountains. 

Anyway. That long paragraph just to say: go and read this book if you haven't already! (And if you have, do leave your opinions below!)

I hope you're all doing well and are enjoying your week so far, until next time, happy stitching :)

5 comments:

  1. Guardian Spirit is looking incredible. I think it helps with our sense of progress by seeing photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement Robin, and it certainly does help! :)

      Delete
  2. Guardian Spirit is coming along nicely! I love Historical Fiction, this book sounds super. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you've made wonderful progress, Robin! I can see it clearly. And I appreciate the book recommendation. Now that I am a retired librarian, I just don't pay much attention to what is on the bestseller list. But, I always enjoyed JoJo Moyes books so this will definitely be coming to my Kindle :) You can learn so much from historical fiction, don't you think? I'm reading a book about Thomas Jefferson's daughter and the role she played acting as his first lady in the White House (his wife had died) and I've learned so much about history during the post-Revolutionary War period :) Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're making great progress on Guardian Spirit! It's very nice to find a project you enjoy so much. That book sounds very interesting, I may check it out. I love to read, but haven't read a lot of historical fiction. Hope you've had a great weekend!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete