Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Ivy and the art of simplicity

It's time to start a new project! And what stitcher doesn't love this part? I know I do. So, meet Ivy, my new project:


I've had my eye on her for a very long time, as she is my favorite of all Nora Corbett's pixies. The reason I hadn't stitched her yet was because I was waiting for the perfect fabric, something beautiful and hand-dyed. But after thinking about it for many months, wondering which fabric to get and how, and trying some dyeing experiments of my own, the other day I just snapped and decided that what I really wanted to do was just stitch this piece to my heart's content.

So I took the advice of that famous quote: do what you can, with what you have, where you are. 

I cut a piece of this lovely creamy aida that I had on hand, which I think goes very well with the threads:


I started stitching away... and I'm really enjoying it! I think I sometimes get sucked down the rabbit hole of Pinterest and Flosstube and I want all the things, but it's good to remember that our hobbies should be relaxing and fun, otherwise there is no point to them. 

After Ivy, I would like to make Nora Corbett's Lilly as a companion piece:


And maybe even another pixie or two, we'll see how it goes. By the way, here is a picture of how Ivy is looking so far, a couple of hours in:


I already love her. I hope you're all doing great, and as always, happy stitching :)

8 comments:

  1. Nice start on Ivy! Sometimes, I think a good old neutral works better than a hand-dyed piece. I have seen some pixies/fairies on beautiful fabrics, but they detract from the design and all you see is the fabric. Hope that makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for that comment Robin! I know what you mean, because I've been feeling the same way lately, so reading your comment was very soothing lol. I'm glad I'm not the only one :)

      Delete
  2. Oh Robin there really isn't anything better than prepping to start a new project other than putting in the last stitch of the previous one. Trouble is I now have at least three projects on the go with so many more I wish to stitch before I leave this earthly space or before my eyes give out all together. I do like Nora Corbett designs they are simple but effective without all the froo froo you get with other projects. Ivy looks lovely and I think you will enjoy stitching her and look forward to watching her progress.

    Mx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about Nora's designs, they're simple yet so beautiful, a real joy to stitch. I wish you all the best with your projects, remembered that even if it feels overwhelming at times the important thing is to enjoy the journey! (It's easy to forget sometimes) :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! :) And I agree: these pixie designs are just darling.

      Delete
  4. This will be a lovely one to watch grow, Robin! I personally love the plainer fabric when a design has so many beautiful colors and beads in it. It allows the design to be the "star of the show" so to speak. I am not actually a big fan of the really overdyed fabrics for that very reason :)

    Hope you continue to enjoy Ivy! Have a great day! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol! I'm glad to hear another person say that they prefer plain fabrics. I've been feeling the same way lately, and even wishing I'd stitched my mermaid on a solid color, but you live and you learn. I'm certainly glad I'm not the only one however :)

      Delete