Saturday, September 28, 2019

Whiskers & Wings: Week 7

Saturday night update! I'm late in posting this so I'm not sure if this constitutes week 7 or 8, but for the sake of consistency, let's say it's week 7. Here's the project so far:


More snow has appeared, and two more birds! Another chickadee and a beautiful cardinal that just pops with that brilliant red, doesn't he? Again, I feel like the picture doesn't do the project justice, because when I see it in real life it seems to have such depth with all the light and shadow going on. My plan now is to add the third bird, and then fill in all the rest of the snow. I'm hoping to be done in a week or two, and I'm so excited! I really am enjoying this project.

Not much news over here. Work & lesson plan during the week, and during the weekends... sunbathing on the beach! The water is getting a bit cold now, but we still managed to get some snorkeling done this morning, which is great. The tourists have gone now so the beaches are a lot emptier, and the water is starting to get that crystal clarity that means the cold weather will be here soon. 


Also, I've finished this book: 


And it was amazing. It really resonated with me, as someone who moved to the US as a child, and had to learn a new culture/language. The author evidently knows what that experience is like, the good and the bad, and the way she handled the everyday details of it just blew my mind. Highly recommended read for anyone interested in the topic.

And that's me done. I hope you're all having a good week, I'll leave you with a few close-ups of the project so far, and as always, happy stitching :)


6 comments:

  1. Awesome progress on the Whiskers & Wings piece, Robin! That Cardinal is gorgeous. Will have to check out that book! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin! :) I do think the cardinal makes the piece pop. Let me know if you end up reading the book! And have a great week :D

      Delete
  2. I love seeing the birds come to life in your stitching, Robin, especially the cardinal. I have a very special feeling about cardinals which I've written about in past blog posts--I think of my dad whenever I see one. And, fortunately, I see one almost every day. They are so breathtaking against the snow!

    I loved that book, too, and as my daughter-in-law is Mexican American, it resonated with me also. How long did you live in the U.S? That must have been quite an adjustment...

    Wishing you a lovely October, Robin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol! How nice that you have that special connection with cardinals and that you see them nearly every day to remind you of your dad- it's wonderful to hear, I hope to see one in real life sometime :)

      And great to hear that you loved the book too, and that it resonated with you! We lived in the States for 3 years, I was just a child at the time but I have so many vivid memories of the trips we took to the national parks and all the beautiful things we saw. It was an adjustment like you say, but such a worthwhile one!

      Have a great week :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for popping over to my blog .
    Your stitching looks beautiful such a lovely design.
    Enjoy your day .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you also for visiting and the kind words :)

      Delete