Sunday, May 12, 2019

Stacked Teacups: Week 2

Alright, here we are! This is what two weeks of work look like on this project:


The OCD part of me is very pleased that the two-week mark came exactly by finishing the last teacup. Yes, indeed, I am satisfied.

Now, I have some thoughts about the project this week. My main issue is that, I don't know if you can see it in the following photo clearly enough, but I nearly ran out of thread. I was literally 10 stitches short of thread!



I was so, so stressed the whole time I was stitching the last teacup because I could see that I wouldn't have enough, and I was freaking out. And the thing is, I'm a frugal stitcher. I don't go around wasting thread, and I try to keep my backs as neat as I can, so I couldn't understand why I was running out of thread! So stressful.

Anyway. If you'll believe it, I had to go digging through my scrap pile to get enough cream thread. I keep this small zipper pouch thing in which I put my scrap thread so that it's all neatly away, and when I'm done with a project I throw all the thread out. I am so, so glad I do this now, because it literally saved this project. I mean, sure, I had to dig out four different tail ends to make those final 10 stitches, but my goodness, I did it.

My second issue with the project is that I really don't like this fabric! I hate 18 count Aida! It's too small and my stitches get all scrunched up and twisted and ugh, I can't wait to finish this thing so I can go back to good old 14 count!

And finally, I've gone back to using a hoop. This has nothing to do with the project itself of course, just with the fact that I'm going through a flare and my hands have started hurting like crazy and my wrist can't support the weight of a q-snap. So a hoop it is! I'm thinking of getting one of those lap stands so I can stitch two-handed or at least not have to hold anything, but I haven't decided yet.

Anyway, wow, big long rambling post today. I'll leave you with some WIP pictures and get out of your hair. Thanks for reading and happy stitching!





Also, bonus pictures of Quijote keeping me company during our epic naps together. Best chronic illness buddy ever:





5 comments:

  1. Robin thanks for stopping by Nanaland. I am always glad to meet another fellow stitcher. I post about all of my life but Saturdays are for stitching posts. I try to have something new to post each Saturday. I am enjoying my stitching journal. I will show the inside this week. It is much more organized than my previous one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your comment!! I was so excited to see it, I think you're my first ever commenter :D and thanks for the info on hoops and fabric, I love hearing from other stitchers :)

      Delete
  2. I posted the reply before I was finished.lol Senior moment. I really do like your tea cups!! I used to use a hoop, never a stitch in hand stitcher. But now I use a q snap and it is much easier for me as I have to use a magnifier clipped to the q snap. And you are so right...if you do not like the fabric, you are going to dilly dally on stitching your piece. I try to keep that in mind and I mainly use even weave these days. Lugana is my favorite. However, for my Prairie Schooler pieces, I tend to use 14 count Aida as I just like the way the PS designs look on Aida.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had enough thread even though they were scraps for the last ten stitches! Your teacups look super.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin!! And thanks for visiting and commenting, you're my second commenter ever, wow! :D

      Delete