Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Indian Artistry: Finishing

Something that I find isn't talked about enough is actually finishing projects. Just as I am a notorious project monogamist, I am also a project finisher. I reckon if I've spent so much time and effort on something, it's certainly worth the time and effort to actually finish it properly and display it in my home. Do it proud, as it were. And for me, it's really part of the process of the project. A project doesn't finish when we stop stitching: it finishes when it is turned into something beautiful that can be displayed with pride. Or maybe that's just me.

So what do I do to finish a project? Very simple and easy! Keep reading.

Washing

The first thing to do is wash the project. You would not believe the amount of grime projects collect over the weeks or months we work on them. You can have a grime guard, a project bag, and be as careful with it as you want, but the bottom line is that when you clean it, the water never comes out clear.

I use a small barrel specially for my projects, so that I know it isn't used for anything else and it won't collect chemicals or dirt. I fill it with lukewarm water, put some liquid detergent for hand washing in it, and let it soak for at least 30 minutes (but usually more).


Then I empty out the water (surprise: it comes out filthy!) and I repeat the process: I fill the barrel with lukewarm water and add some liquid detergent. Then I swirl the fabric around in the water gently, dunk it in and out, and just move it around. Then I leave it for around 30 more minutes to soak.



The second time I empty out the water, surprise! It comes out clean! Success! Time for our next step.

Ironing

I know some people seem to be afraid of this, but please don't be. It's easy. If I can do it, so can you. Trust me. 

First, prepare your ironing board and heat up your iron. 

Then get two clean towels. Lay one down on top of the ironing board.



Now lay your project on top of that towel.

Now cover up your project with the other towel, and starting from one end, roll it up firmly until you have a project burrito. 



Great! Well done. This dries out the project while protecting your stitches. Now unroll your burrito, and stack the two towels on top of the ironing board. Place your project face down on the towels, so that the stitches are facing down on the towels, because they will protect your stitches.

And now take the iron and iron away, on the back side of your project.



Iron as much as you need until the fabric is nice and straight. Don't be afraid, go for it. Ironing will not only make your project nice and straight, but it'll help dry it too.

And now all that's left to do is dry it out! I like to use a clothes hanger to hold my projects and leave them hanging for the night. You might have to iron them again before framing (and lint-roll it if you have pets), but the biggest hassle is done.




Framing

Now comes the real magic! I know that framing can be is a serious pain, which is why I personally like to invest in a professional framer when we're talking about projects I've spent months on. (I have also framed my own pieces, but only the small ones, and oh boy was it difficult). 

For this project, I took it down to my local framer. There is literally only one in the whole town, so it was easy to decide where to go. We did a few test runs on different frames and passe partouts (I know, that's a word!) and finally decided on very earthly colors and rugged textures that seemed to fit the whole piece.




A week later I went to collect the piece and voilà! Finished! Magic! So satisfying.



I mean, just look at it! It's glossy, and big, and looks like an actual Work of Art. I am so proud of it, I can't even. Seriously though, it feels so amazing to get a finished product that you made, that you spent months laboring over. And now it's a beautiful finished piece that you can hang in your home! I swear it looks even more beautiful when it's all finished like this.

I already know where I'm going to put it, over this ethnic rug thing that I have on the entrance dresser. For now, I'll leave you guys with a picture and just admire it some more.







No comments:

Post a Comment