Friday, March 13, 2020

White Clover & Coronavirus in Spain


Hi everyone! Just a quick stitchy update and a few words on the state of things here in Spain. First, here is White Clover, looking absolutely fabulous:


As you can see her skirt is really coming along, and I'm loving all the soft pinks and lilacs, as they are my favorite colors. The stuff of dreams! Absolutely beautiful, I couldn't be happier with this project or enjoy it more.

COVID-19.

Alright guys, I hope no one minds me digging into this topic, but... do you even live in 2020 if you don't talk about the Coronavirus? Here in Spain the situation exploded overnight. To be honest I've been very worried by the lack of action from our government, seeing how Italy has been doing for the past few weeks and we were following right in their footsteps. Things seem to be changing though.

As in stands right now, we have more than four thousand infected people and the healthcare systems of the main affected areas are completely collapsed. The government has declared a state of emergency beginning tomorrow, schools are closed and, well, it just feels like we're living in a dystopian movie right now. We expect the number of infected to rise to 10 thousand, especially now that people have begun evacuating Madrid (the most affected area) and moving to their secondary homes all over Spain. I'm quite worried about my two grandparents, who are both in their late 80s... I hope they don't catch the virus.

The president announces state of emergency in Spain

Grocery shops here are pretty much ransacked, as everywhere else, but we have still been able to obtain some necessities. My brother (who lives in Barcelona) says everything is empty though, and he hasn't been able to buy anything. Hopefully the panic buying will stop soon. It remains to be seen what measures will be taken tomorrow as part of the "state of emergency", but since we have already been told to stay at home, at the rate things are going I won't be surprised if we're in full-on lockdown like Italy.

How are you guys doing? Is there panic-buying where you live? Are your areas affected? Wherever you are I hope you're keeping safe! Until next time, happy stitching and remember to wash your hands ;)

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful stitching love the colors and it is so pretty .

    Here we are about to start closing things down like big sporting events .
    We are still going out but this may change soon.
    Just hope we can still buy food for a few weeks.
    Stay safe .

    ReplyDelete
  2. White Clover is looking good! Here in the States, the panic/craziness is unbelievable. People are buying/hoarding toilet paper, bottled water and hand sanitizer. Yesterday, the governor mandated that all public K-12 schools will be closed for 2 weeks beginning on March 16th. Activities and events are being cancelled.

    Please stay safe, Robin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robin, White Clover is really looking wonderful! I love the colors, it's sure to be a stunning piece! I'm so glad you're loving working on it.
    As far as the Coronavirus, I'm so sorry to hear how bad everything is there.I'm in the States, and it is crazy here. Everything is shut down for (at least) 2 weeks and people are panicking at the stores. Things are changing quickly, so it's definitely a very challenging time. I'm sorry to have just heard on the news that Spain is now on total lockdown. This is so scary and difficult, and no one knows what to expect. I hope that your grandparents stay healthy. Stay safe and take care!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the progress on White Clover she is going to be stunning when she is completed.
    Here in the UK we are not quite at the stage of Italy or Spain but things do seem to be escalating and who knows where we will be by this time next week.

    Stay safe

    Mx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colors of White Clover are beautiful! Very spring-like. I really hope your grandparents avoid catching the virus. It's madness over here, empty shelves like your area. No confirmed cases in the county I live in but in the cities south of me, yes. I think there are 7 confirmed cases in all of Arizona and I hope it stays that way. Schools are closing here though, an extended spring break. I really do feel for all the parents who now have to scramble for babysitters and care for their children and may not be able to afford it. My daughter is 25. I'm still working, thank God. Take care, Robin. I'll be thinking of your grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you have your stitching during these scary days, Robin--White Clover is just lovely.

    Things are heating up over hear, too, with Covid 19. The first four cases in our county were just diagnosed this weekend. We were flying last week and it was very scary (had to fly to Texas for my dear daughter-in-law's mother's funeral). I haven't been in a grocery store yet as I'm staying home for at least two weeks so that if I did pick up anything during my travels, I won't spread it to anyone else. So we are trying the online ordering and pickup of our groceries for the first time tomorrow. Hopefully, all will go smoothly!

    Take care, Robin--I hope your grandparents remain safe. My mother's senior living community and my in-laws' assisted living facility are both "locked down" meaning no visitors. Luckily, I just visited my mom early last week before I flew to Texas.

    ReplyDelete