Saturday, November 9, 2019

Pansy the strong

This is a special post dedicated to my mom, because after a twenty year break, I got her hooked on to cross stitching and now we're long-distance stitching buddies! She's been working on Nora Corbett's Pansy for the past couple of months but she was struggling with the backstitching, so when she flew over here a couple of days ago, she brought the project with her so that I could backstitch it. So I went ahead and did the backstitching, and I washed and iron it and, Honorable People of the Internets, I'm proud to show you my mom's first project in over 20 years:


She doesn't like fairies so she didn't stitch in the wings. In her mind, she says that this girl has fashioned a beautiful umbrella out of flowers to keep the storms of life at bay, and that even though she's had some trouble, she still looks gorgeous and is an absolute princess. I thought that was a very sweet idea to come out of this project, and I'm glad she shared it with me.

I particularly love the rain dripping off her umbrella... it's absolutely lovely and gives it a magical touch:


And I also love the brilliant colors of this pixie, those pinks and purples just make me happy! As you can see, my mom's also been using plain white aida and the beads she had on hand: like mother like daughter I suppose!

Thank you for reading, and as always happy stitching :)

4 comments:

  1. Robin, your Mom's Pansy Girl is stunning. Congratulations to her on her finish and a well done to you on doing the backstitching for her! What is next for your Mom's stitching? Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin, I'll be sure to tell her that, she'll be delighted :) She's now working on a pattern of a pair of hands holding, very sweet although I'm not sure who the designer/manufacturer is. Hopefully I'll be able to put it up here when it's done! I hope you're having a great weekend so far :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy that your mom is now stitching, Robin--how wonderful to share a hobby with her. She did a lovely job on this pixie and you did a lovely job on the backstitching. Maybe she will start her own blog? Sounds like you had a wonderful visit with her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol! It was a good visit and I'm sorry it's over. I very much doubt she will start her own blog, although that would be amazing :)

      Delete