Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Ivy: Finished!

Well, we can thank the flu for this turn of events, because Ivy was finished in little over four weeks! Here she is in all her glittery beaded glory:


Isn't she the prettiest? Sigh. I can't stop looking at her. Which was not the case when I finished her, let me tell you. That day I was so not in the mood for beading, but I really wanted to finish her, so I beaded her with a vengeance ("con rabia", as we say in Spanish, which roughly translates as "with rage, in anger")... And I finished the beads in only one day! What can I say? I suppose even cross stitchers can be Temperamental Artists!

Before I show you some close-ups, I want to explain what materials I used for the "special effects" for anyone interested:

Metallic Threads

The beautiful, glittery wings originally called for Kreinik, but as usual I did my own thing. I compared colors online and got these Chinese threads instead, which may I say did the work beautifully:


One is a sky blue, and the other a dark coal blue, if that is even a thing. I was very happy with the result to be honest, as I think I got the colors right, but as you can imagine working with these metallics was absolute hell. I'd heard horror stories online about working with metallic threads so I was expecting trouble, and let me just tell you, those people were not exaggerating!

Beads

I played it by ear too when it came to the beads, and I went into my stash from my long-gone beading days. Again, I looked at the original Mill Hills, compared them to what I had, and picked the best candidates:


I mean, not perfect, but not too shabby either. They're pretty and glittery and they did the job well.


Photos

And now for the close-ups, for anyone still reading! 







So much fairy dust everywhere! And I love the little detail beads on the shoes... contented sigh. What can I say? I love this little pixie and I'm sure I'll be doing more!

I hope everyone is having a good week with plenty to keep with busy, until next time, happy stitching :)

6 comments:

  1. Well, I'm sorry about the flu, Robin, but it sure produced one amazing finish! I love your color choices and am in awe of you beading prowess :) I can hardly stand to stitch on even one bead! Hope you are feeling all better very soon ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you Carol, I can assure you my beading prowess this time was pure annoyance, but I guess it paid off :) I can definitely understand you about the reluctance to bead! and I'm feeling much better thank you :D I hope you're having a great week so far! xx

      Delete
  2. Robin, congratulations on your Ivy finish. She is stunning. Well done! I hope you are feeling much better and have kicked that flu bug to the curb. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin, I'm glad you like her :) and also thank you for the good wishes, I'm feeling a lot better now! I hope you're having a good weekend xx

      Delete
  3. Hi Robin, I was so happy to find your blog recently and I've read your posts since you started. You've stitched some beautiful pieces! I really love Ivy- she's so pretty and the beading is gorgeous! I always admire Mirabilia patterns. I've just recently started my first one- The Needle Fairy. It may take me awhile (I'm not a fast stitcher and I also like to work on different projects) but I'm enjoying it. I hope you're feeling better and I look forward to seeing what you work on next! Hope you're having a great weekend!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary! Thank you for popping in and saying hello, it's always so nice to meet a fellow stitcher :) The Needle Fairy looks adorable, she's going to be beautiful when she's finished! What else are you working on? Don't worry about the speed, as long as you enjoy the process that's what counts :D I hope you're having a great weekend! xx

      Delete