Monday, August 19, 2019

Whiskers & Wings: Week 2

A curious little kitten has appeared at the window!


How are you all this week? We have been so extremely busy with getting back, doing things around the house, and getting ready for the new school year. We haven't stopped, and it looks like this week is going to be just as busy! Thankfully I've had time to sit down and work on my cross stitch for a bit, and I was getting good speed until I got to the kitten... he's adorable, but he is all confetti, so I'm afraid progress is slow.

The other day as I cleaned out my craft corner (again) I came across this little piglet:


And it made me smile because he has a little story to him. I first saw this little guy on the summer we moved to the US. He was misplaced in a Walmart aile, and to my 9-year-old mind he looked lonely and in need of a home because he only had one eye, and I guess I just thought he needed some extra love. My parents were happy to get him for me, and he became one of my favorite toys, and one of the teddies I cuddled at night (yes, I slept with teddies sometimes. Now I have cats!) 

Originally, Mr Piglet here didn't have the sweater. He was just a pink little pig with one eye. But one day at a garage sale, my mom or I (I don't remember who) found the adorable knit sweater he's wearing now. It was too cute and just the right size, so my mom got the sweater for Mr Piglet, which happened to be of an official teddy bear brand:


Once we put the sweater on, it never came off: I somehow thought that having a warm, cuddly sweater would make Mr Piglet feel better about having only one eye, and so you see, he's still wearing it, years later. Who knew he'd end up here in southern Spain? Probably not him!

I hope everyone's doing great. It looks like this will be a busy week so my next post will be a week from now, and hopefully I'll have some progress to show! For now, here are some progress pictures:



My beautiful fur babies! I'd missed them!


4 comments:

  1. You have made good progress on Whiskers & Wings even with the confetti stitching! I enjoyed reading the story about Mr. Piglet. Your two kitties are beautiful. Have a great week, Robin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin, as always! :) Right back at you: have a great week :D

      Delete
  2. Aww... your piglet is so sweet. I can just picture you wanting to rescue him, Robin! So you lived in the U.S. at one time, too? You have really moved around! We were in Spain back in 2011--Barcelona, Grenada, and Seville. Really enjoyed our visit there. Are you fluent in Spanish, too?

    Nice progress on the kitties piece--I am not a fan of confetti stitching either! Hope things cool off for you a bit very soon. We are heading to the mountains of Colorado for a week--can't wait to escape this heat and humidity :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol! Yeah, we moved around quite a bit when I was a kid because of my dad's job (USA, Spain, Belgium) and then I went off on my own to Ireland for my first teaching job, and that's where I met my husband! It's been quite a ride, lemme tell you, but very fun. I am fluent in Spanish, it's actually my mother tongue... English is my "second" language, but I learned it when I was very young and fell in love with it, so I don't really know which one is most prominent to be honest haha.

      It was nice to read your latest entry on Germany! I hope you're having fun on your Colorado trip, I remember it being a beautiful state, I'm sure you'll write all about it so we can armchair travel with you :)

      Delete