Monday, July 1, 2019

Andromeda: Stitching Slow

Do you ever just like to stitch in silence? 

I do. I find it very therapeutic, after a long day of movement and noise and people, to hide myself away in a corner and spend time with my project, alone, in silence. The only sound is the thread as it slides up and down the fabric, slowly creating magic.

I also find that the slower I stitch, the more I enjoy the process. Again, I find it very therapeutic to pay attention as I slide the needle up the fabric and then down, making sure the stitches lie as evenly as possible. I find that my mind empties of any anxiety or worry, everything slows down and, as Allie put it in The Notebook, "the world goes kind of quiet."

It's in this way that I did my last portion of Andromeda, and here she is:



Sometimes when I watch too much FlossTube, I find myself comparing my pace with others'. And it's funny, because I always come to the conclusion that I'm "too slow", whatever that means, and that I "should" go faster. Which is nonsense, of course. So it's good to just slow down and enjoy the process, because otherwise, there really is no point, is there?

4 comments:

  1. Andromeda is looking fabulous. I do enjoy stitching in silence especially if I have a bit of time in the afternoon. I don't watch a lot of floss tube (for a number of reasons), but I do enjoy viewing pictures/posts on Instagram. I think it is part of human nature to compare oneself to others, but the bottom line is stitching the way that brings you pleasure. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin :) I'm happy to hear you also enjoy stitching in silence. There really is something special about it isn't there? And you're right about it being natural to compare ourselves to others, so it's good to keep an eye out for it I think! Have a great day :D

      Delete
  2. Lovely stitching, Robin! I usually have the television or an audio book on while stitching, but every now and then, when I really need to stitch, I do stitch in silence. I am not a big Floss Tube watcher as I honestly find most of them very boring--really don't think it's the best use of my time :)

    Hope your July is off to a wonderful start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm raising my hand here and saying me too! :D I usually have a documentary or a show on the background, but sometimes I do need the silence and enjoy it so much, like you :) Thank you for your comment and hope you have a great day!

      Delete