Saturday, May 4, 2019

Sacked Teacups

It hasn't been quite one week since I started this project, but I just have so many thoughts about it that I couldn't wait. It is stitching up so, so quickly! I can't believe it.



This project has represented a series of firsts for me. It has been:
  • My first time working with 18 ct Aida
  • My first time using a kit
  • My first contact with Dimensions
  • My first watercolor cross stitch
So yeah, a lot of things going on here. Let's summarize the experience:

What I love

  • The pattern: it is so much fun to work with, and SO cute! 
  • The chart: I really like the way that the Dimensions chart is organized, how clear everything is laid out and how it makes perfect sense once you're stitching. The fact that everything on the chart is a different color to the actual thread is actually fun, because it's a bit of a mystery what color is coming up next, a bit like coloring by numbers I guess. 
  • The floss: And of course, I love the convenience of having all the floss you need in the same place, and just tugging on it to get it loose. Perfect.
  • The size: Being a Dimensions Petite, it's quite small and compact, so taking it outside to stitch in the sun is a breeze. I've enjoyed quite a few moments out on the terrace with this piece.



What I ain't digging

  • The fabric: It was very stiff when I got it, so I washed it out and that seemed to loosen it up a little, but it's still a bit on the stiff side for my taste. 
  • 18  count: I'm really not getting the hang of it. My stitches are all rumpled up and twisted and just all over the place. I find that on 14-count Aida I really got the hang of it and my stitches were quite neat and even, but with 18 count they seem really messy and I have to admit it's driving me a bit crazy, because I pride myself on being a neat stitcher. What is happening?
  • The needle provided. It is so tiny and flimsy! I tried it for a while and then gave up in frustration and started using my regular old needle, which is much bigger, but seems to be a bit big for the stitch count. So I got another needle at my local craft store.

WIP Pictures:









No comments:

Post a Comment