Saturday, January 25, 2020

Guardian Spirit: Almost there!

I think I have a grandiose sense of my own stitching abilities, because I honest to goodness thought that the next time I wrote on here, I'd have a finish to show you all. Cue ironic laughter. Here's where we're at people:
 


Now, you see that poncho? That big, colorful, enormous shawl thing? Yeah, I thought I could finish that shawl in a week or less. Naive little fool.

It turns out that the shawl is huge. And absolutely full coverage, from one end of the design to the other.  Oh and also, it is driving me insane, because there are so many weird shapes going on, and the pattern's hard to read, and the stitches look all wrong! You can't tell in the picture, but the stitches aren't laying as flat as they usually do, probably because I've been experimenting with stitching vertically (I usually stitch horizontally, but the shawl shapes just lend themselves to vertical stitches, so of course I thought this would be the perfect time to experiment). 


Anyway. This long ramble just to say: we're nearly there, and I can't wait! On the plus side, I'm loving the look of this little corner:



In other news, I've just finished an amazing book and I wanted to share it with you all (Shelly, if you're reading this, you're going to laugh): 



These Is My Words, by Nancy E. Turner. Now, why is this funny? Because I was 100% convinced I'd  already read  this book. In fact, when I saw Shelly's sampler over at her blog, I raved about how great the book was and how excited I was to see a sampler of it! And then I realized... Hang on a moment, the book I actually read was The Diary of Mattie Spencer by Sandra Dallas. Big facepalm moment, that one.

As for the book itself, I loved it. It was sad and tragic in places, but I loved how Sarah rose to every single challenge, how strong she was, and how realistically relationships were portrayed. As for the love interest in this one, wow. Let me just say, I am one to roll my eyes at a lot of romances out there, but my goodness, if there was ever a perfectly flawed, cheeky, intelligent, exasperating and brilliant hero ever written, it is in this book. 'Nuff said. 

I hope you're all doing well with plenty to keep you busy in all things crafty, thank you as always for your comments, and see you next time :)

7 comments:

  1. Oops! Haha, but you're going to laugh at this...I have read the Diary of Mattie Spencer! It's an excellent book and I so wanted her to get together with that one man. I think I read it last year or year before. Yes, it was sad in places. So now you just have to read These Is My Words. Another strong woman with a love story at the beginning and another at the end of the 3rd book that'll leave you saying 'Will you please just accept it!!!! Now is not the time to be pussyfooting it!' Btw, Guardian is beautiful and I just noticed the shading on her shoulder. I underestimate how much stitching I'll be doing so now you have company!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are making good progress on Guardian Spirit. Yes, that shawl is wall to wall stitching. You aren't the only one who thinks that way about amount of time to finish. I will have to add this book to my growing list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin! I'm glad I'm not the only one :) Do let me know if you end up reading the book, I love to hear opinions! Have a great week xx

      Delete
  3. I loved that book, Robin--read it way back when it first came out and should really read it again :) Your Guardian Spirit is almost complete--how exciting! I love all the colors in this piece and I'm sure it's a joy to stitch. Enjoy this last bit of January! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book Carol! Definitely a great read. And I'm also happy to hear you like the colors of Guardian Spirit- I'm loving the shawl! Thanks for your comment, I hope you're having a good week :D

      Delete
  4. Guardian Spirit is really coming along and is looking beautiful!I agree about estimating how long something will take to stitch; it's especially hard when I have a deadline, like when I'm stitching a gift. What's important is that you're enjoying stitching it! I've heard about that book, but haven't read it yet, it sounds really good. Hope you're having a great week!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary! I'm glad it's not just me :) I hope you get a chance to read the book sometime, have a great weekend and thank you as always for your comment :D

      Delete